Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ex Libris

Not too long ago, I found myself on a quiet mission to claim ownership of all of my books. It started with one book -- a favorite book which I was about to lend out and didn't want to lose track of. I thought of simply writing my name inside the front cover but that seemed too casual, almost disrespectful for this particular book. So, I looked online for some bookplates I could order quickly. I ended up taking a wonderful trek through the world of bookplates -- from the history of bookplates to customization to collection (there are societies dedicated to the study and preservation of bookplates). I also found some beautiful designs. Too many for me to actually settle on one. I ended up making my own. If anyone needs a personalized bookplate, you now know who to call!

2 comments:

  1. Nedy! How cool are you?! I love your reverence for books, paper, ink and words, and am so inspired by your artistry. When we move into our home (and I get my books back), I definitely want to hire you to design some bookplates for me and for Gia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have a Japanese bookplate rubber stamp that I will show you!

    ReplyDelete